If you’re out on the road at night, you should take steps to ensure you can see clearly and that you are visible to others using the road:
- Avoid wearing a dark, tinted or scratched visor or glasses
- Wear high visibility and reflective clothing to make you more visible to other road users
- Use a high beam to see further ahead. If you’re within 200 metres of another vehicle, dip your beam so you don’t affect the vision of the driver approaching you
- If a vehicle comes towards you with their beam on high, slow down and look off-centre so it doesn’t affect your vision
- Reduce your speed to give yourself more time to read the road and react to any potential hazards
- Ensure any reflectors and all lights on your vehicle are clean
Information in this article was adapted from the NSW Government’s Motorcycle Riders’ Handbook.